The most award winning
healthcare information source.
TRUSTED FOR FOUR DECADES.
Screen patients for HIV transmission risk
• "Since your last checkup here," or if first visit, "Since you found out you were infected with HIV."
• "Have you been sexually active; that is, have you had vaginal, anal, or oral sex with a partner?"
• "Have you had vaginal or anal intercourse without a condom with anyone?"
• "Were any of these people HIV-negative, or are you unsure about their HIV status?"
• "Have you had oral sex with someone?"
• (For a male patient) "Did you ejaculate into your partner’s mouth?"
• "Have you had a genital sore or discharge, discomfort when you urinate, or anal burning or itching?"
• "Have you been diagnosed or treated for a sexually transmitted disease (STD), or do you know if any of your sex partners have been diagnosed or treated for an STD?"
• "Have you shared drug-injection equipment (needles, syringes, cotton, cooker, water) with others?"
• "Were any of these people HIV negative, or are you unsure about their HIV status?"
Adapted from: CDC. Revised guidelines for HIV counseling, testing, and referral. MMWR 2001; 50(No. RR-19).