The most award winning
healthcare information source.
TRUSTED FOR FOUR DECADES.
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has announced that the final versions of the nine ASC X12N EDI Implementation Guides and the Health Care Data Element Dictionary are complete. The guides and dictionary are part of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) administrative simplification provisions. It is anticipated that the Secretary will adopt these standard implementation guides in the final rule.
The following final guides were released on June 3, 1999, and can be downloaded from the Washington Publishing Company’s Web site at www.wpc-edi.com/HIPAA. Guides posted include:
• Health Care Claim Status Request and Response;
• Payroll Deducted and Other Group Premium Payment for Insurance Products;
• Benefit Enrollment and Maintenance;
• Health Care Claim Payment/Advice.
The remaining five final guides were posted on the Web site on June 10, 1999. These were:
• Health Care Eligibility/Benefit Inquiry and Information Response;
• Health Care Claim: Institutional;
• Health Care Claim: Dental;
• Health Care Claim: Professional;
• Health Care Data Element Dictionary.
A tentative schedule issued by the HHS indicates that the final rule will be published in November 1999. Standards are required to be implemented within two years of the effective date of the final rule; generally 60 days after publication of the rule. This makes the required implementation date February 2002.