The most award winning
healthcare information source.
TRUSTED FOR FOUR DECADES.
The Illinois State Police department in Springfield suggests using the following emergency kit. Keep this kit in the passenger compartment of your car in case of a roadside emergency or bad weather:
• 2- or 3-pound coffee can with three evenly spaced holes punched in the top edge;
• 60-inch piece of twine cut into three equal pieces to suspend the can;
• two large safety pins to suspend the can;
• 2 inch diameter candle, that will be placed under the suspended can to melt snow;
• sharp pocketknife or pair of scissors;
• three pieces of bright cloth, roughly 2 inches by 36 inches, to tie to the antenna and door handles;
• small package of peanuts and a small pack of fruit-flavored candy (avoid chocolate);
• pair of cotton athletic socks;
• pair of cotton glove liners;
• two books of matches;
• sun-shield blanket or two large plastic leaf bags (The bags will reflect body heat and reduce heat loss from the wind);
• pen light and batteries (kept separately);
• personal medications;
• if room allows, adhesive bandages, aspirin, and a small radio.