The most award winning
healthcare information source.
TRUSTED FOR FOUR DECADES.
First, ensure appropriations
There are many resources for patient education materials in languages other than English. Following are a few favorites of Geri Berkvam, RN, FNP, patient and family program coordinator at San Francisco General Hospital. "Whenever you get materials from an outside source, you need to make sure they are appropriate for your population," she says. For example, Spanish speakers from different countries or regions within a country may not agree on the meaning of a word.
• Healthfinder [English and Spanish] - http://www.healthfinder.gov/ .
• NOAH: New York Online Access to Health [English and Spanish] - http://www.noah-health.org.
• Ohio State University Medical Center [English and Spanish] - http://www.osu.edu/units/ osuhosp/disclaim2.htm.
• Vietnamese Community Health Promotion Project [English and Vietnamese] - http:// medicine.ucsf.edu/divisions/vchpp/.
• National Library of Medicine’s MEDLINEPLUS [English and Spanish - other languages occasionally for some topics] - http://medline plus.nlm.nih.gov.
• American Cancer Society-Northern California Chinese Unit [Chinese] - http://www.acs-nccu.org/. Telephone: (888) 566-6222 or (510) 797-0600.
• Multicultural Health Communication Service [Multiple languages] - http://www.mhcs.health.nsw.gov.au/.
• EthnoMed [Multiple languages] - http:// healthlinks.washington.edu/clinical/ethnomed
• Association of Asian Pacific Community Health Organizations [Multiple languages] - http://ww.aapcho.org.
• American Heart Association, San Francisco Division [Multiple languages] - 120 Montgomery St., Suite 1650, San Francisco, CA 94194. Telephone: (415) 433-2273.
For more information on overcoming language as a barrier to education, contact:
• Geri Berkvam, RN, FNP, Patient & Family Program Coordinator, Patient Education Resource Center, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Ave., Ward 4C-34, San Francisco, CA 94110. Telephone: (415) 206-8484. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Gloria Garcia Orme, RN, BSN, Director, Patient Rela-tions, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Ave., San Francisco, CA 94110. Telephone: (415) 206-8536. E-mail: email@example.com.
• Martine Pierre-Louis, MPH, Manager, Interpreter Services, University of Washington Medical Center, 1959 N.E. Pacific, BB-312, Box 356167, Seattle, WA 98195-6167. Telephone: (206) 598-4663. Fax: (206) 598-7806. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.