The most award winning
healthcare information source.
TRUSTED FOR FOUR DECADES.
Following is a list of products designed to accommodate bariatric patients, compiled from information from individual manufacturers and the Technology Resource Guide of the James A. Haley Veterans Hospital Patient Safety Center in Tampa, FL. For more information, visit the center’s web site, www.patientsafetycenter.com, and click on "Technology Resource Guide."
• AryCare Patient Support Systems, 146 Wall St., P.O. Box 220, Shalotte, NC 28459. Telephone: (800) 342-9018 or (910) 754-6476. Fax: (910) 754-9249. The AryLift is designed to be positioned over a patient’s bed and can be used to help reposition, bathe, weigh, or transfer a patient. AryLifts use 7-inch straps to allow gentle movement and repositioning. Models 707B ($9,880) and 707A (for home care, $8,580) can handle patients up to 500 pounds. Model C1000 ($28,500) is designed for use with patients who weigh up to 1,000 pounds. They include a portable shower hose and drain pan and a built-in scale.
• Columbus McKinnon Corporation, Mobility Products Division, 140 John James Audubon Parkway, Amherst, NY 14228-1197. Telephone: (800) 888-0985. Fax: (716) 689-5624. Web site: www.cmworks.com. The CM Assist 600 Mobile Lift ($4,975), a battery-powered mobile unit, was specially designed for bariatric patients and has a weight capacity of up to 600 pounds. It is available with a digital scale.
• Stretchair Patient Transfer Systems, Largo FL. Telephone: (800) 237-1162 or (727) 531-2444. Fax: (727) 536-0666. Web site: www.stretchair.com. The MC-800 Stretchair ($3,990), with a weight capacity of 800 pounds, can be adjusted to function as a wheelchair, stretcher, or bed.
• Hill-Rom Co., 1069 State Route 46, Batesville, IN 47006. Telephone: (800) 445-3730. Web site: www.hill-rom.com. The Magnum II Bariatric Patient Care System ($25,000) is a specially designed bed that can fold into a chair and can be used for transport. The bed also includes a patient scale and an X-ray cassette for upper-body X-rays. It has a low-air-loss surface, providing a cooling effect.
• Patient Handling Technologies, 603 North Second St., Allentown, PA 18102. Telephone: (800) 471-2776 or (610) 432-8753. Fax: (610) 433-9107. Web site: www.hovermatt.com. When the HoverMatt mattress ($3,495) is inflated, it releases air from perforations in the underside, reducing friction and making lateral transfers easier. The company asserts that a lateral transfer with a HoverMatt involves 93% less force than with a draw sheet. The mattress does not have a weight limit; larger sizes are available for obese patients. Daily rental is available for $35 to $45 a day.
• SIZEWise Rentals, 7924 Stateline Road, Prairie Village, KS 66208. Telephone: (800) 814-9389. Fax: 913-652-6704. Web site: www.sizewiserentals.com. The Bari-Lift & Transfer mechanical lift has weight limits of 750 pounds (lift) and 1,000 pounds (transfer). The Bari-Rehab Platform, a bed that can fold into a seated position, has extra width and length and a weight capacity of 1000 pounds. SIZEWise guarantees delivery within 24 hours and will provide emergency placement of equipment within two hours (plus travel time).
• Wheelchairs of Kansas, 204 W. 2nd St., Ellis, KS 67637. Telephone: (800) 537- 6454. Fax: (800) 337-2447. Web site: www.wheelchairsofkansas.com. The BCW Lift and Transfer ($7,380) has weight capacities of 750 pounds (lift) and 1,000 pounds (transfer). The Mighty Rest Rehab Bed ($6,100 to $7,700, depending on size and other factors), with a weight capacity of 1,000 pounds, has electric drive modules and can be used for transport. The company’s other products include power chairs, wheelchairs, and chairs for use in bathing and toileting. The company specializes in products geared toward bariatric patients.